January 31, 2014
Due to the size and weight of tractor-trailers, accidents involving these vehicles can be extremely devastating. The Nashville Truck Accident Lawyers with Ponce Law explain this point was underscored in a recent East Tennessee collision that left a motorist pinned in the wreckage of his vehicle for an extended period of time.
According to an article from Knox News, the incident occurred at approximately 7:20 a.m. yesterday morning at mile marker 373 along Interstate 40 in Knox County. The 52-year-old victim stated he was traveling eastbound at the Campbell Station Road exit when a tractor-trailer being driven by a 49-year-old man began to merge into his lane. The victim’s 2003 Toyota Camry became trapped beneath the trailer of the truck, requiring rescue crews to spend more than an hour cutting him free.
The incident leaves many motorists wondering what they should do in the event of collision with tractor-trailers. The Nashville Personal Injury Lawyers with Michael D. Ponce & Associates say five steps you should take after a truck accident include:
- Notifying Your Insurance Company –Report the crash to your insurer, but refrain from speaking with companies associated with others who were involved.
- Gathering Information About The Crash – Write down information regarding the time, date, and location of the crash.
- Taking Pictures of the Scene – These photos may later be used as evidence.
- Keeping Documentation of Damages – Including medical and repair bills, along with lost wages.
- Hiring an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer – Doing so helps protect a victim’s potential rights to compensation.