August 15th, 2018
It’s difficult to move your loved one into a nursing home. Although moves like that are done with the best intentions in mind, it can be hard to trust your loved one’s health and even life into the hands of strangers, no matter how well trained or qualified they are.
Unfortunately, the reluctance and fears that some family members have for their loved ones become a reality when nursing home staff members and healthcare providers are negligent or abusive. A study showed that residents at one out of every three nursing homes are the victim of some type of abuse or neglect.
If you find out that your loved one was mistreated while living in a nursing home, the Nashville nursing home abuse lawyers at Ponce Law want to fight to get you compensation for:
- Medical bills—Nursing home abuse and neglect victims may require extensive medical care to recover from the injuries or illnesses they suffered at the hands of staff members.
- Pain and suffering—Abused or neglected residents may suffer for weeks, months, or even years. Even after they’re moved to new facilities or the mistreatment stops, they may suffer from poor health, reduced mobility, and even psychological issues for years to come.
- Punitive damages—When residents are intentionally or violently abused, they and their family members can seek punitive damages against the nursing home or individual staff members.
It’s important to have an experienced law firm on your side when dealing with a nursing home abuse case. Nursing homes are often part of billion-dollar corporations, and their insurers don’t want to pay money to victims and their families without a fight.
Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
August 7th, 2018
When you develop a disability while serving your country, you expect to be taken care of until you recover or for the rest of your life if your disability is permanent.
But the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) doesn’t make it easy for veterans to get the benefits they’re supposed to be entitled to receive as part of their military service.
In addition to a huge backlog that creates wait lists that can last for months or even years, the VA also heavily scrutinizes the claims it receives, and it’s not uncommon for seriously injured and profoundly disabled veterans to see their claims denied.
At Ponce Law, our Nashville veterans disability benefits lawyers have helped many veterans like you, and we know that many claims are denied due to a few common mistakes, including:
- Lying about your injuries or illnesses—Always be honest and upfront about your health when applying for veterans disability benefits. Don’t exaggerate your symptoms, but don’t downplay them, either. If your health status on your application doesn’t match up with what your doctor or the VA’s doctor finds, it could jeopardize your claim.
- Waiting too long to file a claim or get assistance—Because of the VA’s backlog of claims, it’s important to file your claim with the help of an attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the longer it will take for you to get the money you deserve. In addition, the VA may be more suspicious of your claim when it reviews your case.
Let us handle the veterans disability benefits application and appeals process on your behalf while you focus on getting better. Call us today for a free consultation.
August 1st, 2018
Auto accidents rank among the most traumatic events that people experience during their lives. It’s common for victims to want to share their experiences with others, but it’s important to understand that the details of your accident can be of a sensitive nature—especially if you’re filing a claim for compensation.
Insurance companies have teams of adjusters who are tasked with finding ways to reduce or deny settlements to innocent victims. One way they do that is by obtaining statements from victims themselves, their social media accounts, or even the people close to them.
Outside of your immediate family members, there are only three people that you should trust and be honest with immediately after the crash:
- The responding police officer—Always tell the truth when speaking with the responding police officer at the accident scene. However, don’t volunteer information about the accident, and never admit fault for the crash prematurely.
- The medical professionals who treat your injuries—Patient confidentiality laws protect you when it comes to talking to the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers who provide care after the crash. Never lie about or exaggerate your injuries—doing so can jeopardize your claim.
- Your Nashville auto accident lawyer—Your lawyer has your best interests in mind, including maximizing your compensation claim. The more information we know about your crash, the the better our chances of maximizing your claim.
Call Ponce Law today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience and dedication to work for you.
July 18th, 2018
Prescription and over-the-counter medications are supposed to make people feel better and help them recover from their injuries and illnesses. But as millions of Americans know, not all drugs are safe to use, and some can cause serious and even life-threatening injuries and complications.
People take medications assuming they’ll have a beneficial and positive effect on their lives and their health. However, some drugs aren’t fully tested by drug manufacturers, or their dangerous side effects are hidden from regulatory agencies like the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. That means innocent victims take drugs not knowing the potential risks they’re facing.
When people get hurt by drugs, they face many potential complications, including:
- Organ damage—Several popular medications, including heartburn drugs, Type 2 diabetes drugs, and testosterone replacement therapies are linked to damage affecting the heart, pancreas, and cardiovascular system.
- Birth defects—Nausea drugs and some antidepressant medications are linked to birth defects in the unborn children of pregnant women who take them.
- Cancer—Type 2 diabetes drugs and erectile dysfunction drugs may be linked to pancreatic cancer and skin cancer.
The complications, illnesses, and injuries caused by some medications can be devastating. At Ponce Law, our Nashville drug injury lawyers believe that victims shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for the health effects they suffered due to negligent drug manufacturers.
If you or someone you love were hurt by a medication, call us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help.
July 11th, 2018
The Nashville wrongful death lawyers at Ponce Law know how devastating the loss of a loved one can be for families.
In addition to the emotional pain that a death in the family brings, such a loss also creates a financial void—especially if the deceased was the primary income-earner for your household. Filing wrongful death claims helps families like yours get compensation for their losses, but many families are unaware of the possibilities or unsure if they’re eligible to receive damages for the deaths of their loved ones.
While it’s true that wrongful death claims can be complicated—especially if you pursue one without the help of an attorney—many common accidents and scenarios make surviving family members eligible to pursue such claims. They include:
- Car accidents—If you would have been eligible to file a claim for an injury-causing accident, you’ll also be eligible to file a claim for a wrongful death if your loved one suffered fatal injuries during the crash.
- Medical malpractice—Healthcare professionals are responsible for making sure their patients get safe and appropriate medical care. When they fail to do so due to negligence, they can be held responsible when injuries or deaths occur.
- Work-related accidents—Employers are supposed to provide safe environments and all of the necessary gear and equipment to protect their workers. When they fail to do so and workers are hurt and killed, surviving family members can file claims against them.
Wondering whether you and your loved ones have a claim? Get in touch with us today to find out how we can help you. Call now for a free consultation.
July 9th, 2018
When you lose a loved one, you lose their companionship, love, and financial support. The grieving process is difficult enough, but it can be even more devastating when you’re left wondering how you’ll support yourself and your family members after your loved one is gone.
At Ponce Law, our Nashville wrongful death lawyers know what you’re going through. We’ve helped many families just like yours get compensation for the losses of their loved ones. We fight hard to help our clients get money for things like lost income, medical and funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and lost companionship.
Wrongful death claims are varied, but many are due to a few common accidents and scenarios, including:
- Auto accidents—When drivers are negligent, drunk, reckless, or aggressive, they can be held liable for the injuries or deaths of others.
- Medical malpractice—Hospitals and healthcare providers can be considered responsible for the deaths of patients when they fail to uphold their duties to provide safe and cautious medical care.
- Defective products—Product manufacturers are required to test their industrial, consumer, and medical devices before releasing them to the market. When they fail to do so and people get hurt or killed, they can be held liable.
Those are just a few of the situations that can lead to wrongful death claims. If your loved one died due to another person’s or party’s negligence, we want to hear from you. Call today for a free consultation.
July 4th, 2018
Losing your balance or tripping over something in your path usually causes only minor injuries, but for some people, the consequences of slip and fall injuries can be devastating.
At Ponce Law, our Nashville premises liability lawyers have helped many people who were hurt when they fell in public or private spaces. We’ve seen the devastation of slip and fall injuries firsthand, and we know that some victims may experience permanent pain, reduced mobility, and even paralysis.
Premises liability laws require that property owners and managers keep their premises safe for everyone, but the definitions of “safe” and the requirements that they must follow can sometimes be subjective—especially when insurance companies are involved.
It’s common for insurance companies to play hardball when victims pursue compensation, and they may build strong cases of their own to reduce or deny victims’ claims.
After a slip and fall injury, a lawyer may be able to help you by:
- Proving the property owner or manager was negligent—Whether the property owner or manager was aware of the potential dangers or should have been aware of them, we know how to find and present evidence that conclusively proves their negligence led to your injuries.
- Proving your injuries were caused by your slip and fall—Insurance companies are often skeptical of injury claims, and they often deny that injuries are linked to specific accidents. We can use your medical records and even expert testimony to leave no doubt about the origin of your injuries.
Get the help you deserve today. Call now for a free consultation, and let us put our years of experience to work for you.
July 2nd, 2018
Motorcycle accidents are painful and disabling, and many victims may be unable to return to work for long periods of time.
To make matters worse, it’s common for insurance companies to reduce or even deny claims from injured motorcyclists. That’s because insurers and their teams of adjusters often believe that motorcyclists are to blame for their own accidents due to negative stereotypes of motorcyclists speeding and riding recklessly.
The Nashville motorcycle accident lawyers at Ponce Law believe that motorcyclists deserve experienced legal representation to help level the playing field. It’s hard enough to get compensation on your own, but it can seem impossible when the deck is already stacked against you due to harmful biases and stereotypes.
Don’t leave your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve up to chance. Call today and let us protect your rights in the following ways:
- We’ll make sure the insurance company knows who was at fault—By collecting evidence, speaking with witnesses, and even utilizing accident reconstruction experts, we can create a compelling case that will force the insurance company to admit you weren’t at fault.
- We’ll protect you from the insurance company’s tactics—Insurance companies make big profits by reducing or denying claims, and they get away with that by using a variety of tricks. If we take over your claim, we’ll stay one step ahead of their tactics until you get the compensation you deserve.
Your motorcycle accident was serious. You deserve serious representation. Call today for a free consultation.
June 27th, 2018
Getting hurt on the job can be devastating for many reasons.
First, workplace injuries are often painful and debilitating, and they often require several months of recovery. Second, you may be hesitant to tell your manager or supervisor about your injury—especially if your company prides itself on its safety record and lack of accidents. And finally, you may want to avoid risking your job or career if you’ve seen other workers retaliated against in the past after pursuing workers’ compensation benefits.
The Nashville workers’ compensation lawyers at Ponce Law understand what you’re going through, and we know how difficult this time is for you and your loved ones. That said, we believe that all injured workers deserve complete and full access to the workers’ compensation benefits that their employers are required to have, and they shouldn’t be afraid to pursue the money they deserve when they get hurt on the job.
If you choose us to handle your workers’ compensation claim, you can count on our legal team to work for you in the following ways:
- We’ll collect and present evidence that proves your injury was work-related. Employers and the state workers’ compensation board want to see hard evidence that all injury claims occurred on the job. Our experience means we know how to find proof that will leave no doubt in their minds about how, when, and where your injury occurred.
- We’ll protect you from retaliation or wrongful termination. You shouldn’t have to worry about your career or your family’s future when you report a workplace injury or pursue compensation for the injuries you suffered. With our legal team on your side, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’re protected when you file a claim for the benefits you deserve.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation. We’re here to help you and your family during this difficult time in your lives.
June 20th, 2018
At Ponce Law, our Nashville defective product lawyers focus plenty of time and attention handling cases where innocent victims are injured or suffer illnesses related to defective medical devices.
But it’s important for Middle Tennessee residents to remember that the cases we handle aren’t limited to just medical devices. Ordinary industrial and consumer products also have the potential to be dangerous and even deadly, and when people are hurt by those products, they should have the same rights as people who were harmed by medical products.
A few common consumer and industrial products that are linked to serious injuries, health problems, and complications include:
- Asbestos—Although its usage in most products has been on a significant decline since the 1970s, asbestos is still present in many homes and buildings. It’s linked to deadly health problems, including a form of lung cancer called mesothelioma.
- E-cigarettes—Electronic cigarettes are increasing in popularity every year, and many smokers use them as replacements for ordinary cigarettes. But they can be dangerous, especially when they overheat, as their batteries can explode or catch fire.
- Weed killers—A popular herbicide called Roundup® contains glyphosate, a chemical that’s linked to cancers such as non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Exposure to the dangerous chemical can occur via respiration, skin absorption, or consuming contaminated food and water.
If you or someone you love were hurt by a consumer or industrial product, we’re here to help. We have the experience, resources, and dedication you need to get the compensation your family deserves after an industrial or consumer product injury. Call today for a free consultation.