The Nashville Supplemental Security Income lawyers at Ponce Law can help you apply for SSI benefits or prepare an appeal if you’ve already been denied. We’re available to take your call anytime—just dial (800) 363-9113 or fill out a free initial consultation form, and get the legal help you need.
Understanding SSI Benefits
To be considered eligible for SSI benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has several requirements. You may be qualified to receive benefits if you’re:
- a U.S citizen or fall into a qualified category of non-citizen,
- age 65 or older,
- blind or vision impaired,
- living on a limited income and with limited resources (such as personal property, life insurance, or anything which could be converted to cash and used for food or shelter)
- or if you’re suffering from a disability lasting — or that’s expected to last — at least one year, or will result in death.
When you apply, Tennessee Disability Determination Services (DDS) reviews your application to determine if you’re eligible to receive benefits. It often takes months for DDS to issue a decision, and a mistake or omission during the application process can cause further delays.
Why You Need an SSI Lawyer
The process for applying for SSI benefits can be both difficult and time-consuming. Many SSI claims are initially denied because the burden of proof is on the applicant. You will need to prove that you are 1. disabled, and 2. in financial need. Failing to prove one of the two can cause your application for Supplemental Security Income to be denied. It may even be denied on a minor paperwork technicality.
Your chances of getting your application approved may increase when you use a lawyer. When you hire an SSI lawyer, they can:
- Review your case
- Ensure your application is complete
- Help you obtain documentation that proves your eligibility, such as pay stubs and medical records
- Meet necessary deadlines
- Communicate with the SSA
- File appeals
- Represent you in disability hearings
- Prepare you for questions you may be asked
Can I Afford an SSI Lawyer?
Yes, everyone can afford a Social Security lawyer. Our SSI lawyers don’t collect any pay from you unless they help you win your disability claim. You will pay no upfront fees to speak to a lawyer with our firm, or for their help in filing your application or appeal.
Get the Legal Representation You Deserve
We’re a local law firm that’s 100 percent committed to obtaining the best possible results for our clients. So if you need help getting SSI benefits—even if you’ve already been denied—Ponce Law wants to help. Our Supplemental Security Income attorneys can represent anyone in Tennessee, regardless of their financial situation. So don’t wait, get the legal representation you deserve.