According to AAA, it’s estimated that over 35 million Americans will be traveling this Memorial Day weekend. That’s a lot of cars on the road. The Nashville car accident attorneys at Michael D. Ponce & Associates would like to remind all those traveling that it only takes a split second for an accident to change your life forever. Make this Memorial Day one to remember for the right reasons. Be safe on the roads with these travel safety tips:
- Plan Ahead—Before you get on the road, know where you’re going, how you’re going to get there, and where you’d like to stop along the way. Make copies of all your insurance or roadside assistance documentation in the case of an emergency, as well as print off maps, even if you plan to use GPS navigation.
- Tune-Up—Get your oil changed, tires checked, and any other routine maintenance done a few days before you leave. It’s important that you drive your newly tuned-up car a day or two before the trip to make sure everything is running properly.
- Entertainment—Six to eight hours in a car with nothing to do makes for a less than ideal traveling experience. Make sure passengers bring books, electronics, or other fun distractions to pass the time.
- Take Turns—Just because you start the trip behind the steering wheel doesn’t mean you have to finish there. Share the responsibility with other potential drivers in the car.
- Take Breaks—Driving fatigued is extremely dangerous. Take a break every couple of hours to stretch your legs, get something to eat and drink, or use the restroom.
Unfortunately, no matter how well you plan or how safe you are, accidents happen. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, call a Nashville personal injury lawyer at Ponce Law. We want to help.